Simplified Acquisition Snapshot™: North Carolina
Sunday, June 17, 2012
Posted by: SAP Task Force
When we pulled the data for FY12 spending in The Old North State (or The Tar Heel State), we found that twenty-six (26) federal agencies combined to spend just over $81 million dollars using simplified acquisition procedures where North Carolina is identified as the place of performance.
Want to see what is being purchased and by which agencies? Read on, and welcome to the the latest weekly edition of the Simplified Acquisition Snapshot™!
What is a Simplified Acquisition?
By definition, a simplified acquisition is one of the easiest ways for federal agencies to purchase goods and services in support of business and mission operations, and each fiscal year, hundreds of thousands of contract actions worth billions of dollars are issued to companies located around the world.
The Federal Acquisition Regulation (FAR) indicates this method is intended to reduce the administrative burden associated with these acquisitions for both Government and Industry, and are used to procure goods and services including research and development, construction and commercial items, that fall within the Simplified Acquisition Threshold.
Additionally, the Simplified Acquisition Procedures (SAP) were established to create additional business opportunities for small and disadvantaged business concerns in government contracting. Often, this presents a great opportunity for companies new to an agency (or new to government contracting) to get a "foot in the door" because of the lower level of associated with these purchases.
Our Weekly Article Series
The Simplified Acquisition Snapshot™ is The American Small Business Coalition's weekly education and market intelligence brief about simplified acquisition spending based on the Place of Performance for each contract, task order or purchase order issued. For more state reviews, visit www.theasbc.org/sapsnapshot.
This Week's Simplified Acquisition Snapshot™
The top five contracting departments by spending are: Department of Defense, Department of Veterans Affairs, Department of Homeland Security, Department of Justice and the Department of Health and Human Services. These organizations have processed 7,756 simplified acquisition contract actions* fiscal year-to-date.
The top five (5) products/services accounting for roughly $57 million of this state's total simplified acquisition spending fiscal year-to-date are:
- Medical and Surgical Instruments, Equipments and Supplies
- Maint-Rep-Alt/Other Residential Bld
- Support- Management: Data Collection
- Construction of Hospitals and Infirmaries
- Education/Training- Other
Other factoids of interest as you pursue these opportunities here include:
- Total dollars awarded to small business: $48,560,305.62 fiscal YTD;
- Just over $47 million of the contract dollars spent fiscal year-to-date were competitive purchases.
- Of the 80 funding agencies contributing to this year's streamlined purchase spending, Department of Veteran Affairs, Army, Navy, Federal Prison System and Department of State make up the top five with just under $50 million dollars in combined spending.
- The top five (5) NAICS Codes by spending (of the 527 NAICS Codes used to-date) accounted for $24,899,778 of the total state spending, fiscal year-to-date.
- Over one-thousand funding offices contributed to North Carolina's FY12 simplified acquisition spending.
GSA SmartPay/SmartPay 2 Purchase Card Payment Information
- Agencies issuing these purchases used the GSA SmartPay/SmartPay2 Purchase Card to remit payment for $5,690,733.17 in orders that accounted for sixty-two (62) different NAICS Codes.
- The following NAICS Code and Description accounted for the most purchase card spending fiscal year-to-date: 423450 MEDICAL, DENTAL, AND HOSPITAL EQUIPMENT AND SUPPLIES MERCHANT WHOLESALERS for a total of $3,290,957.36 in purchase card spending.
- Small Businesses realized $2,416,927 in purchase card payments.
- The combined total of the top five purchase card purchases YTD is $779,685.33.
- As of this report, two (2) NAICS Codes represent the top ten purchase card purchases (over $1 million).
Here's some additional information.
If your company is located in: North Carolina, Virginia, Maryland, California or Georgia then you are in one of the top five states for contractors winning these streamlined purchase opportunities (states listed in order according to spending fiscal YTD).
Each week we give you a chance to score free passes to an upcoming Simplified Acquisition Spotlight™ webinar, a deep-dive into where, how much and on what goods and services a specific agency is spending their simplified acquisition dollars. Here is this week's trivia.
#1 - Name two (2) NAICS Code (Number and/or Description) that made the top five for simplified acquisition spending in North Carolina for FY12 YTD.
#2 - What other NAICS Code accounted for the top ten purchases by GSA SmartPay/SmartPay2 purchase card for North Carolina, YTD?
The first five correct answers emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org will receive one free pass for each question answered correctly.
Would your company like to sponsor the Simplified Acquisition Spotlight™ and garner great exposure to a targeted segment of the business community? Every week we feature useful (actionable) information targeted to small government contractors around the Nation. Click here for details.
* "Contract action” means any oral or written action that results in the purchase, rent, or lease of supplies or equipment, services, or construction using appropriated dollars over the micro-purchase threshold, or modifications to these actions regardless of dollar value. Contract action does not include grants, cooperative agreements, other transactions, real property leases, requisitions from Federal stock, training authorizations, or other non-FAR based transactions.