Simplified Acquisition Snapshot™: Florida
Monday, May 28, 2012
Posted by: SAP Task Force
Fiscal year-to-date, thirty-four federal agencies (includes commissions and boards) have spent a combined $180 million dollars in The Sunshine State using simplified acquisition procedures where Florida is identified as the place of performance.
Want a glimpse of what is being purchased and by whom? Read on, and welcome to the weekly edition of the Simplified Acquisition Snapshot™!
By definition, a simplified acquisition is one of the easiest ways for federal agencies to purchase goods and services in support of business and mission operations, and each fiscal year, hundreds of thousands of contract actions worth billions of dollars are issued to companies located around the world.
The Federal Acquisition Regulation (FAR) indicates this method is intended to reduce the administrative burden associated with these acquisitions for both Government and Industry, and are used to procure goods and services including research and development, construction and commercial items, that fall within the Simplified Acquisition Threshold.
Additionally, the Simplified Acquisition Procedures (SAP) were established to create additional business opportunities for small and disadvantaged business concerns in government contracting. Often, this presents a great opportunity for companies new to an agency (or new to government contracting) to get a "foot in the door" because of the lower level of associated with these purchases.
The Simplified Acquisition Snapshot™ is The American Small Business Coalition's weekly education and market intelligence brief about simplified acquisition spending based on the Place of Performance for each contract, task order or purchase order issued. For additional information and more state reviews, visit www.theasbc.org/sapsnapshot.
This week's Simplified Acquisition Snapshot™ focuses on federal spending in the state of Florida
Since the start of FY2012, 34 federal agencies have issued 14,175 contract actions* for the purchase of goods and services where the place of performance is Florida.
The top five departments by spending are: DoD, Homeland Security, Veterans Affairs, Justice and Interior.
The products/services listed below represent just under $50 million in combined simplified acquisition spending in Florida this fiscal year-to-date:
- Housekeeping - Guard
- Medical and Surgical Instruments, Equipments and Supplies
- Non-Nuclear Ship Repair
Other factoids of interest as you pursue these opportunities here include:
- The average number of offers received is 9.72 per contract action;
- Total dollars awarded to small business: $99,244,403.00 fiscal YTD;
- The Federal Prison System accounts for just under $19 million in spending of DoJ's total SAP spending in Florida, Fiscal YTD.
- The GSA SmartPay/SmartPay2 purchase card was the payment mechanism for $12,861,425 of these purchases. $6,759,404 of these purchase card payments were to small businesses. The largest purchase card payment issued to-date was by the Department of the Army for $193,981.05.
Here's another piece of information.
If your company is located in: Florida, Virginia, Georgia,Washington or Connecticut, then you are in one of the top five states for contractors winning these streamlined purchase opportunities (states listed in order according to spending fiscal YTD).
Each week we give you a chance to score free passes to an upcoming Simplified Acquisition Spotlight™ webinar, a deep-dive into where, how much and on what goods and services a specific agency is spending their simplified acquisition dollars. Here is this week's trivia.
#1 - From the following list of five (5) agencies currently doing simplified acquisition business in Florida, rank the top three based on total FY12 simplified acquisition spending (YTD) by sub agency where Florida is place of performance where number one represents the most spending.
Defense, Homeland Security, Veterans Affairs, Justice, Interior
The first five correct answers emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org will receive one free pass.
Would your company like to sponsor the Simplified Acquisition Spotlight™ and garner great exposure to a targeted segment of the business community? Every week we feature useful (actionable) information targeted to small government contractors around the Nation. Click here for details.
* "Contract action” means any oral or written action that results in the purchase, rent, or lease of supplies or equipment, services, or construction using appropriated dollars over the micro-purchase threshold, or modifications to these actions regardless of dollar value. Contract action does not include grants, cooperative agreements, other transactions, real property leases, requisitions from Federal stock, training authorizations, or other non-FAR based transactions.