The Complete Simplified Acquisitions Workshop!™ - Summary
This is a comprehensive education and training program about the streamlined purchase method used by over sixty federal agencies, boards and commissions to effect procurements in support of agency requirements. These purchases are described in FAR Part 13 as Simplified Acquisition Procedures. This workshop provides a substantive background on the rules and dollar thresholds, and how agencies currently utilize simplified procedures to procure tens of billions of dollars in products and services each fiscal year, with most of the obligations being awarded to small business concerns.Additionally, attendees will be presented practical methods for leveraging open sources of information key to identifying and qualifying potential customers and related business opportunities.
Over the course of several weeks, each attendee will participate in a combination of scheduled and self-paced activities to include videos, webinars, online exercises and hands-on application of the knowledge, skills and resources presented, ultimately, to conduct real-time market research for data and information relevant to their company's specific federal sector goals.
The workshop concludes with a facilitated in-person or virtual lab session where participants build or add to their opportunity pipelines. Think of this as an open book test where the instructor provides assistance and the answers could result in potential revenues and profits.
For companies of all disciplines, sizes and experience levels, the challenge of efficiently managing time and money and acquiring more of both is a constant. This is especially true for many small federal contractors confronted with award and solicitation dates slipping, consolidated requirements, reduced budgets, restrictive policies, exclusionary cultures and more. This workshop provides an extremely substantive, real-world view of a procurement method used throughout the federal government that empowers agencies to purchase goods and services in a way that reduces administrative burdens for Government and Industry, is more inclusive of small business concerns and has realized increased utilization over the past several fiscal years.
Participants will learn:
- What the Simplified Acquisition Procedures Are
- What the Simplified Acquisition Threshold Is
- About Exceptions to the SAT
- What Agencies Buy
- Which Agencies Buy
- How They Make Awards
- Simplified Acquisition Contract Vehicles
- About Current Spending and Recent Trends
- How to Find Simplified Buys
- How to Find Simplified Buyers
- How to Make Your Company Visible
- and More!
During the workshop, attendees will participate in exercises which requires them to submit information to support the development of suspects, prospects, leads and opportunities based on responses provided by each participant. The result? The cultivated information will be specific to the goals of each participants' company.
Workshop Agenda (COMSAP116 runs January 4th through February 4th)
Over the course of this interactive learning program, participants will develop the knowledge, skills and confidence to lead their organizations to an understanding of how Simplified Acquisition purchases can expand their pipeline and contribute to achieving company growth objectives. The formal activities available to all participants include:
- Workshop Orientation and Kickoff - an informative video providing an overview of the program and a virtual tour of the class portal and how to access resources to ensure a positive and productive experience.
- Introduction to Simplified Acquisitions - two-hour comprehensive video presentation about Simplified Acquisition rules, spending, which agencies, what they buy, how they buy, identifying customers, buyers and opportunities and more!
- Understanding and Leveraging Pipelines - a brief video presentation followed by exercises to help participants develop or enhance a process for managing opportunity-related information.
- Practice Exercises - opportunity for participants to leverage what they've learned to-date, in the context of their company's offerings, customers, etc.
- Pipeline Development - each participant will submit company information to be used in assisting them with identifying market opportunities based on key criteria.
Due: 5:00PM ET January 21, 2016
- Q&A Webinar - prior to the in-person or virtual lab, we'll host an open forum to discuss what's transpired to ensure participants are developing knowledge, not just information. This is over and above the Q&A discussion forums available in the class portal.
Hosted at 2:00PM ET January 14, 2016 and 2:00PM ET January 21, 2016
- In-Person or Virtual Lab - each workshop features an in-person or virtual lab, a goal-oriented, hands-on opportunity for participants to apply workshop tactics, tools and resources in a real-world scenario, developing pipelines for their companies based on Simplified Acquisitions!
Virtual Lab: 1:00PM February 3, 2016
In-Person Lab: 8:30AM February 4, 2016 McLean, VA
- Simplified Information Reachback - DoD defines 'reachback' as 'the process of obtaining products, services, applications, forces, equipment or material from organizations that are not forward deployed. (JP 3-30)' While we can't send forces or equipment to participants in the trenches of growing their companies, they can certainly reachback to their class portal to reference valuable discussions and content, and a special post-workshop discussion forum.
Not Your Ordinary Workshop (For Multiple Reasons!)
Did you notice the start and end dates for this program? What about the location?
Those aren't omissions as this learning opportunity spans several weeks and the location, it's a private web-based portal specific to each workshop session. There is an option for an in-person or virtual lab session based on individual preference, which means the entire program could very well be web-based from start-to-finish. While it's nothing new from a purely educational standpoint, it is for us and the type of programs we're making available this way.
From what we can tell so far, previous participants to include our very first classes love the concept, format and results to-date. We and they think you're going to love it too! Here's why.
We've minimized and eliminated several of the obstacles associated with traditional learning programs such as:
- 'time off of the line' for executives and professionals responsible for business growth;
- commuting to sessions;
- varying levels of attendee experience related to the subject-matter, and;
- ease of access to viable education and professional development programs.
Need another reason? You've heard of drinking from the proverbial fire hose, right? What if we gave you the ability to control the flow of information?
Before this workshop ends, each attendee will be exposed to eight (8) hours of content where at least half of the formal information is delivered at the pace each selected by each participant. This means if you register on the very first day the workshop opens, you'll have nearly four (4) weeks to view digital content, participate in exercises and get answer's to your questions. Keep in mind these are interactive so there are milestones for completing activities, but at a much more relaxed pace, and more convenient.
There's also the opportunity to participate in networking, Q&A and collaboration opportunities in the online portal where attendees will find blogs, discussion forums and more! The point is to provide the maximum learning opportunity for participants so they can process the tactics, tools and resources presented in terms of how and why they matter in real-world applications.
About Those Simplified Acquisitions
Simplified Acquisitions offer benefits for both Government and Industry.
For Agencies: Simplified Acquisitions often means less time in developing, soliciting and executing purchases because of the streamlined rules.
For Vendors: Especially for small business concerns, the shorter procurement lifecycle means less time and money to invest in pursuing and winning opportunities versus other types of buys. There's also an inherent preference for agencies to do business with small business concerns this way, lower risk for agencies and vendors due to lower obligation amounts which makes it a great way for companies to get their foot in the door with new customers. Then there's the fact most of the obligations are not orders placed against existing contracts or modifications. Most buys are competitively awarded and don't require the initial investment in a 'hunting license.'
Last but not least, in a review of purchases made when agency buyers leveraged the Simplified Acquisition Procedures, the information they submitted to the Federal Procurement Data System - Next Generation shows a steady increase in fiscal obligations. In fact, since Fiscal Year 2009, the average increase in dollars to these buys has been one billion dollars per fiscal year:
Each registration for this workshop provides access to content and resources for one (1) individual named during the registration process. Registrations are non-transferable and no refunds are available on or after the workshop start date. Click here to review our other Event Registration/Refund Policies. Pre-registration is required. Registration closes at least ten (10) business days prior to the in-person and virtual lab sessions.
CORE™ Small Business and GovCon Wingman™ Members - $795
Individual, Associate/Corporate Members - $995
Not Yet Members - $1195