If your organization is trying to establish or increase its business with federal agencies, the Simplified Acquisition Snapshot™ report may provide the insight you need to understand how the U.S. Government uses streamlined purchasing methods to acquire goods and services they need, possibly right in your back yard.
Welcome to the latest edition of the Simplified Acquisition Snapshot™.
Simplified Acquisition Spending Background
From the start of FY2011 through January 2013, federal agencies issued more than $32 billion dollars in simplified acquisition buys, using more than 1000 NAICS Codes in the process.
By comparison, federal agencies issued $30.480 billion dollars in simplified acquisition contract actions during the ten-year period from FY2000 through FY2010.
PLACE OF PERFORMANCE: Oklahoma
When we pulled the YTD data for FY13 spending where The Sooner State was the place of performance, we found that twenty-one (21) federal agencies, boards and commissions combined to spend $27 million dollars on goods and services purchases using the simplified acquisition procedures. Based on the number of contracts/purchase orders/task orders issued, the average action was valued at $23,886.89.
NOTE: As of the date of publication, FPDS-NG reports action obligations of $28.9 million for FY13**. Action obligation totals for FY12 were $134,043,441.
TOP CONTRACTING DEPARTMENTS
The top five contracting departments by spending at the time of the report were:
- Department of Defense*
- Department of Health and Human Services
- Department of Transportation
- Department of Veterans Affairs
- Department of Justice
These organizations account for more than $24.6 million dollars of the total YTD spending for this place of performance and also account for 1,138 simplified acquisition contract actions* fiscal year-to-date.
- Based on the reported number of offers received by the Government (13,027) an average of only 1.77 offers were received for each reported contract action.
The top five (5) products/services account for over $16 million of this state's total simplified acquisition spending fiscal year-to-date. They are:
- Medical - General Healthcare
- Housekeeping - Guard
- R&D - Defense Other: Services (Basic Research)
- Education/Training - Other
- Medical - Laboratory Testing
DOLLARS AWARDED TO SMALL BUSINESS
- Total dollars awarded YTD to small business: $13,328,128.26
COMPETITIVE vs. NON-COMPETITIVE DOLLARS
- $23,141,983.85 of the contract dollars spent fiscal year-to-date were competitive purchases
TOP 5 NAICS CODES
TOP CONTRACTING OFFICE
- The top five (5) NAICS Codes by spending (of the 243 NAICS Codes used to-date) account for $15,286,458 of total state spending YTD. There are only three (3) NAICS Codes where YTD spending exceeds $1 million dollars.
- The top Contracting Office by YTD spending is HHS/Indian Health Services having posted four hundred-thirteen (413) contract actions valued at $8,007,711.9. This office has received an average of 1.54 offers YTD.
PAYMENTS BY GSA SMARTPAY PURCHASE CARD
PAYMENT SUMMARY/TOP DEPARTMENTS
- Six (6) contracting departments issued payments via GSA SmartPay/SmartPay2 Purchase Card for a YTD total of $255,188.35. HHS, Justice, and DoD lead in this area.
NAICS CODE USE/SPENDING
- YTD purchase card spending is distributed among twenty-nine (29) NAICS Codes.
- The top NAICS Code for this report accounted for $49,142.00 in purchase card payments.
- The top five NAICS Codes (for payments by SmartPay) account for $138,535.55 in spending YTD
TOP RECIPIENT LOCATIONS (U.S. STATES)
If your company is located in: Oklahoma, District of Columbia, Texas, California or Georgia then you are in one of the top five states for contractors being awarded these streamlined purchase opportunities (states listed in order according to spending fiscal YTD).
What is a Simplified Acquisition?
By definition, a simplified acquisition is one of the easiest ways for federal agencies to purchase goods and services in support of business and mission operations, and each fiscal year, hundreds of thousands of contract actions worth billions of dollars are issued to companies located around the world.
The Federal Acquisition Regulation (FAR) indicates this method is intended to reduce the administrative burden associated with these acquisitions for both Government and Industry, and are used to procure goods and services including research and development, construction and commercial items, that fall within the Simplified Acquisition Threshold.
Additionally, the Simplified Acquisition Procedures (SAP) were established to create additional business opportunities for small and disadvantaged business concerns in government contracting. Often, this presents a great opportunity for companies new to an agency (or new to government contracting) to get a "foot in the door" because of the lower level of risk associated with these purchases.
Our Weekly Article Series
The Simplified Acquisition Snapshot™ is The American Small Business Coalition's weekly education and market intelligence brief about simplified acquisition spending based on the Place of Performance for each contract, task order or purchase order issued. For more state reviews, visit www.theasbc.org/sapsnapshot.
Simplified Acquisition Snapshot™ is sponsored by:
" Taking payments to the next level…and beyond ”
* "Contract action” means any oral or written action that results in the purchase, rent, or lease of supplies or equipment, services, or construction using appropriated dollars over the micro-purchase threshold, or modifications to these actions regardless of dollar value. Contract action does not include grants, cooperative agreements, other transactions, real property leases, requisitions from Federal stock, training authorizations, or other non-FAR based transactions.
** For public users, Department of Defense contract actions are delayed 90 days due to operational security (OPSEC).
simplified acquisition snapshot,FTS,Financial Transaction Services,sponsor,government,contracting,small,business,SAP Task Force
PC&S OPEN MARKET PURCHASE Total
STUDENT SERVICES Total
FORT CHAFFEE 5-GAL BOTTLED
WATER DELIVERY Total
LABORATORY SVCS FOR PSKA IHC 01/01/13-12/31/13 Total
A&B PEST CONTROL- MONTHLY
PEST CONTROL SERVICES FOR PAWNEE IHC 02/01/13-01/31/14 Total
SHREDDING-ONSITE SHREDDING SVC IN ACCORDANCE W HIPAA FOR PAWNEE IHS. Total
BECKMAN COULTER-COST PER TEST
ACT DIFF II AT PAWHUSKA IHC 01/15/13-01/14/14 Total
DRILLING SUPPLIES - GWERD
JCAHO-PAWNEE SERVICE UNIT
2013 ONSITE SURVEY FEES FOR ACCREDITATION 12/01/12-11/30/13 Total
LIFTKING ROUGH TERRAIN
FORKLIFT (MODEL #:LK6P44-14FT) Total
REVIEW OF KENTUCKY STATUANCE
AND REGULATIONS FOR EQUIVALENCY TO FEDERAL RCRA Total
STERICYCLE-BIOHAZARD WASTE DISPOSAL SERVICE FOR PAWNEE IHC 02/01/13-01/31/14.
LLC-AUDIOLOGY TESTING EQUIPMENT FOR PAWNEE Total
ADA STUDENT SERVICE
"RARE TAMIKA PROJECT" Total
CARESTREAM HEALTH-PM FOR
DRX-1 WIRELESS SYSTEM&DETECTOR FOR PAWHUSKA IHC 01/23/13-01/22/14. Total
HOLOGIC, INC-PM FOR DISCOVERY
BONE DENSITY S/N#82599 FOR PAWNEE, 04/01/13-03/31/14. Total
RADIOLOGY SVC PAWHUSKA, 01/01/13-12/31/13. Total
PL-DOMESTIC PC&S OPEN
MARKET PURCHASE MARKET PURCHASE ORDERS Total
NRCS CONSTRUCTION Total
CARL ZEISS MEDITECH-PM FOR
STRATUS OCT, GOLD PLAN 03/01/13-02/28/14 FOR PAWNEE IHC. Total