If your organization is trying to establish or increase its business with federal agencies, the Simplified Acquisition Snapshot™ report may provide the insight you need to understand how the U.S. Government uses streamlined purchasing methods to acquire goods and services they need, possibly right in your back yard.
Welcome to the latest edition of the Simplified Acquisition Snapshot™.
Simplified Acquisition Spending Background
From the start of FY2011 through January 2013, federal agencies issued more than $32 billion dollars in simplified acquisition buys, using more than 1000 NAICS Codes in the process.
By comparison, federal agencies issued $30.480 billion dollars in simplified acquisition contract actions during the ten-year period from FY2000 through FY2010.
PLACE OF PERFORMANCE: Pennsylvania
When we pulled the YTD data for FY13 spending where The Keystone State was the place of performance, we found that twenty-seven (27) federal agencies, boards and commissions combined to spend $48.5 million dollars on goods and services purchases using the simplified acquisition procedures. Based on the number of contracts/purchase orders/task orders issued, the average action was valued at $13,984.08.
NOTE: As of the date of publication, FPDS-NG reports action obligations of $58 million for FY13**. Action obligation totals for FY12 were $324,360,126.
TOP CONTRACTING DEPARTMENTS
The top five contracting departments by spending at the time of the report were:
- Department of Defense*
- Department of Justice
- Department of Veterans Affairs
- Department of State
- Department of Homeland Security
These organizations account for more than $39.7 million dollars of the total YTD spending for this place of performance and also account for 2,888 simplified acquisition contract actions* fiscal year-to-date.
- Based on the reported number of offers received by the Government (13,027) an average of 3.41 offers were received for each reported contract action.
The top five (5) products/services account for over $46 million of this state's total simplified acquisition spending fiscal year-to-date. They are:
- Medical and Surgical Instruments, Equipment and Supplies
- Food, Oils and Fats
- Household Furniture
- Valves, Nonpowered
- Office Furniture
DOLLARS AWARDED TO SMALL BUSINESS
- Total dollars awarded YTD to small business: $28,567,338.47
COMPETITIVE vs. NON-COMPETITIVE DOLLARS
- $39,487,501.75 of the contract dollars spent fiscal year-to-date were competitive purchases
TOP 5 NAICS CODES
TOP CONTRACTING OFFICE
- The top five (5) NAICS Codes by spending (of the 508 NAICS Codes used to-date) account for $9,617,355 of total state spending YTD. There are only five (5) NAICS Codes where YTD spending exceeds $1 million dollars.
- The top Contracting Office by YTD spending is DLA Troop Support having posted two hundred-thirteen (213) contract actions valued at $3,774,027.40. This office has received an average of 5.25 offers YTD.
PAYMENTS BY GSA SMARTPAY PURCHASE CARD
PAYMENT SUMMARY/TOP DEPARTMENTS
- Ten (10) contracting departments issued payments via GSA SmartPay/SmartPay2 Purchase Card for a YTD total of $3,443,38.54. VA, Justice, and DoD lead in this area.
NAICS CODE USE/SPENDING
- YTD purchase card spending is distributed among one hundred-eleven (111) NAICS Codes.
- The top NAICS Code for this report accounted for $1,258,766.02 in purchase card payments.
- The top five NAICS Codes (for payments by SmartPay) account for $2,108,000.50 in spending YTD
TOP RECIPIENT LOCATIONS (U.S. STATES)
If your company is located in: Pennsylvania, Virginia, Ohio, Maryland or New Jersey then you are in one of the top five states for contractors being awarded these streamlined purchase opportunities (states listed in order according to spending fiscal YTD).
What is a Simplified Acquisition?
By definition, a simplified acquisition is one of the easiest ways for federal agencies to purchase goods and services in support of business and mission operations, and each fiscal year, hundreds of thousands of contract actions worth billions of dollars are issued to companies located around the world.
The Federal Acquisition Regulation (FAR) indicates this method is intended to reduce the administrative burden associated with these acquisitions for both Government and Industry, and are used to procure goods and services including research and development, construction and commercial items, that fall within the Simplified Acquisition Threshold.
Additionally, the Simplified Acquisition Procedures (SAP) were established to create additional business opportunities for small and disadvantaged business concerns in government contracting. Often, this presents a great opportunity for companies new to an agency (or new to government contracting) to get a "foot in the door" because of the lower level of risk associated with these purchases.
Our Weekly Article Series
The Simplified Acquisition Snapshot™ is The American Small Business Coalition's weekly education and market intelligence brief about simplified acquisition spending based on the Place of Performance for each contract, task order or purchase order issued. For more state reviews, visit www.theasbc.org/sapsnapshot.
Simplified Acquisition Snapshot™ is sponsored by:
" Taking payments to the next level…and beyond ”
* "Contract action” means any oral or written action that results in the purchase, rent, or lease of supplies or equipment, services, or construction using appropriated dollars over the micro-purchase threshold, or modifications to these actions regardless of dollar value. Contract action does not include grants, cooperative agreements, other transactions, real property leases, requisitions from Federal stock, training authorizations, or other non-FAR based transactions.
** For public users, Department of Defense contract actions are delayed 90 days due to operational security (OPSEC).
simplified acquisition snapshot,FTS,Financial Transaction Services,sponsor,government,contracting,small,business,SAP Task Force
GUARD SERVICES FOR GSA ROB, 301 7TH STREET, WASHINGTON, DC TotalSUPPORT SERVICES TotalDESIGN AND CASTING OF ENHANCED HEAT TRANSFER FEATURES ON GAS TURBINE BLADES. TotalFAO TotalGREENING AMERICA'S CAPITALS--INDIANAPOLIS, INDIANA TotalCQ.COM SUBSCRIPTION TotalCREDENTIAL SUPPLIES LEATHER BADGE HOLDERS TotalVTC MAINTENANCE CONSOLIDATION TotalOFFICE SUPPLIES FOR BOYERS TotalAICHE MEETING TotalPULSE PROCESSOR TotalHEAVY TRAIL MAINTENANCE TotalOHM DATABASE MAINTENANCE AND SUPPORT TotalCINTAS SHRED SRVICE FOR THE CENTRAL REGION TotalFY2013 LAB COAT SERVICE FOR BCE, CIU, EIW, PMR, PFR, AND PGEC TotalBIOMED TotalMARIENVILLE RANGER DISTRICT JANITORIAL SERVICES CONTRACT TotalTSKGEL GUARD COLUMNS TotalJANITORIAL SERVICES TotalHOSE POLYURETHAN TRANSPARENT, FRUIT PULP FILTER, PFD FILLING DEVICE. TotalEAGLES PEAK (WATER FILTRATION UNIT LEASE) TotalTUITION TO ROBERT MORRIS UNIVERSITY TotalSHELVING UNITS FOR BOYERS WAREHOUSE TotalHIGH ANGLE RESCUE EQUIPMENT TotalSALT SPREADER TotalTUITION TO POINT PARK UNIVERSITY TotalCINTAS SHREDDING FOR WESTERN REGION TotalTRANSCRIPTION SERVICES TotalSURVIVOR PACKS AD SAFETY VEST TotalVACCINE INJURY COMPERSATIOON PROGRAM TotalVERIZON NY COMMUNICATION SERVICES (LAND LINES) TotalREGULATORY REVIEW SERVICE TotalCOMPUTER AND COMPUTER PERIPHERAL EQUIPMENT TotalTUITION COSTS. TotalPIN SPRING - LOCKS TotalFIELD EQUIPMENT TotalERRC - MODIFICATIONS TO THE PILOT PLANT 190F WATER LOOP TotalGOLD CELLS FOR ROCKING AUTOCLAVES TotalBAT REMEDIATION AT SHEFFIELD WOODSHOP AND LOLETA BATHHOUSE TotalPAGE CHARGES TotalOAK TREE RELEASE TotalSWAGELOK FITTINGS AND VALVES. TotalGEOSOFT OASIS MONTAJ TotalLABORATORY BUILDING SYSTEMS COURSE TotalNANOFABRICATION FACILITY TotalPUMP TotalSHALLOW CONVECTION PARAMETERIZATION (SCP) CODE TotalSNOWPLOWING SERVICES TotalTRAINING TotalWINDOW WASHING TotalGOOGLE SEARCH APPLIANCE WITH 2-YEAR SUPPORT/MAINTENANCE. TotalPRINTING OF BEST PRACTICES FOR CARBON STORAGE SYSTEMS AND WELL MANAGEMENT ACTIVITIES BY GPO. TotalFENCE REMOVAL Total3-PORT R VACUUM MANIFOLD , BEAKERS, HD UTILITY FUNNEL TotalCHEMICALS TotalNIKON DIGITAL CAMERA TotalAGYV-APPRAISALS TotalFY 2010 PURCHASE OF CHILD RESTRAINT SYSTEMS FMVSS 213 FOR TESTING TotalARTICULATING MULTI-POSITION SNOWPLOW TotalRENTAL TRUCK TotalFLIR INFRARED CAMERA TotalINSTRUMENT RELOCATION TotalTECHNICAL (LAB) SUPPORT FOR VIRGINIA CD-DRIVEN TMDL Total